Friday, July 8, 2011

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a...

Gopher?

I have a story for you my friends, quiet an interesting one if I do say so myself. Before I actually start with the story I feel as though I need to give you a bit of background. First of all: it's summer. And I'm a teacher. Need I say more?

No, really I've been blessed with what, so far at least, has been a nice, relaxing summer. Sure I'm gathering paperwork for the adoption, attending a few trainings, and writing an autobiography, but really? In the scheme of things? This summer has been sooooooooo nice. And relaxing.

Most of this relaxing has to do with the fact that I have time (ahhh, time!) to read. I love to read. In fact, when I was little I would check out stacks of books at a time. And read them within a week. But, back to this summer. Last year I started taking my books outside to read. I make my cup of coffee, get my granola bar, set up my Adirondack chair under my tree, place my footstool nearby and plop down with whatever book I happen to be reading. (The fact that I'm under a tree is important! Take note.)

Now, if you know me you will realize K and I live out in the country. Surrounded by fields. Way far away from any type of forested area. And also? We don't have much in the way of trees on our property. So I take advantage of the one we have in our backyard.

Earlier this week I was reading as described above and hear a "thud" behind me. Naturally I turn around (thinking is was a cat of course) and what do I see? A gopher running away from me towards the garden! Do you know the "thud" means? The gopher had to have been SITTING IN THE TREE the whole time! Yikes! I don't know about you my friends, but that was a bit spooky. Moral of my story? Check all trees for gophers. Because you know what? They can climb.

0 comments:

Post a Comment