Monday, July 19, 2010

Thoroughly Confused

You know what? I'm stumped. I'm confused. I'm perplexed. I'm baffled. I did get my meds today (thankfully); HOWEVER, they are the meds my insurance liaison told me would be covered by my insurance. But the pharmacy told me they won't be covered. Does this make sense to anyone else?
I should be happy, right? I mean I have the drugs. Hopefully they won't make any more potential babies get flushed with my next period. But you know what? I'm a bit angry. First of all...according to Dr. Delightful I pretty much need these meds in order to even carry a baby. Right? Otherwise (like last cycle) aren't I just having a really, really early miscarriage? When you look at it this way (and obviously I do) then isn't this just the first of many things I may need when I'm pregnant?
Second of all, the many, many hoops I jumped though since last Wednesday to get these drugs would be enough to keep Shamu happy for the rest of his life. I really thought that I must be going crazy when the pharm called me on Sat and told me they weren't covered. (Literally, I almost lost it at Menards. Poor K...he was going to buy a new blade for his saw when we got the call. He just bought the $500 worth of lumber instead. Nope not bitter ;) )
Here's what I thought had happened. When I first started this escapade Walmart told me I needed Novarel. So, logically, that's what I told the insurance liaison I needed. And that's what she told me was covered by insurance. Now, this was a bit confusing to me because my script read: HCG. So, when the pharmacy called Sat and told me that HCG was not covered under my insurance I thought Walmart must have got it all wrong. I even asked said pharmacy, "What I'm getting is HCG, right?" To which they replied "Yep."
Except............................I'm holding a box that reads NOVAREL in really big letters. Do you understand my confusion? So, off I went to make a call to my trusted insurance liaison. By the way, I think it's time I gave you her name: Lois. I really didn't think I would have to take the time to type it out here, but honestly? I think I've talked with her more in the past week than I have some of my friends. As I type, she's making some calls because guess what? She's confused too.

ETA: I got a call back from Lois and she informed me that the insurance thinks I'm getting the Novarel for infertility. Well, um...hum. You know what this made me aware of? That I don't think of myself as 'infertile' anymore. Just someone who needs a bit of help maintaining a pregnancy. I explained this to her and she recommended that I have Dr. Delightful call the insurance on my behalf. Quite frankly, I'm done with this drama for this cycle. We'll cross that bridge if it comes.

2 comments:

renee

well, is novarel just the drug name for hcg (i mean hcg is just hormones so i would think that the drug companies would need there own name for it). but yes, if the doctor calls your insurance and tells them that it is medically necessary for you during pregnancy, they really can't say no. my IVIG treatments (twice a week) were about 30,000 EACH and the insurance HAD to cover them b/c without it the baby would die or have permanent brain damage. so is dr delightful still as delightful or is he getting a little perturbed too?

Jess

Yes, from what I understand Novarel is the drug name....and yeah, I'll still call him Dr. Delightful, I still like him, but a little more direction on how to get my hands on this would have been much appreciated!
If I need it next cycle I will see about having him call my insurance, but for now I'm done!

Post a Comment