Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dr. Delightful

So here's the second installment of our new approach to getting pregnant. Last week I saw a new Dr. (we shall here-on call him Dr. Delightful) on recommendation from my Creighton nurse. He specializes in helping figure out what exactly is wrong rather than just moving along to IUI/IVF. I was first pleased with his bio on the website (www.neob.net Oh, and his name is Dr. Parker if you're interested. Although, he might get a kick out of calling him Dr. Delighful.). It really seemed as if his beliefs and practice matched the path we want to take.
Anyway...when I met with him he first took a comprehensive inventory of all my stats (i.e. lifestyle, medical history, etc.) and then reviewed my records from other Dr.s with me. He looked several times at the summary of my laparoscopy and explained that he would have taken out the endo using another method. One, he feels, is better. Sigh. This was a bit frustrating to hear because, duh, I hoped it was taken out the right way the first time!
Then he reviewed Creighton chart I've been keeping. He pointed out that I had abnormal cervical mucus during the lutal phase (time after ovulation and before my period) and that this could point to a hormonal imbalance of some sort. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Remember what Foot Lady said about hormones? I'll have you know that I did not tell him what Foot Lady said...however, both of their diagnoses seem to mesh.
The next step then is to get blood work done days 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 after ovulation. This will show what my hormones are like in the lutal phase and help us be on the way to conceiving. Most likely if I have an imbalance it would be because of a low progesterone level which can simply be solved by taking progesterone. So, we'll see! If that's the case (and who really knows if it is at this point) than think how much easier (and cheaper I might add) it would be to take that than go through an IUI + Clomid.
That's where we are now...waiting till I ovulate. And, surprise surprise, it's taking me a long time again to get there! We're now on CD20 and just now getting cervical mucus of fertile quality and quantity. I tell ya, it seems like the smallest amount of stress (we just bought a new car, more on that later) seems to affect my ovulation. Quite annoying my friends, quite annoying! However, both K and I are pleased with the current treatment/plan we have. It's nice to know that we're actually doing something and have people that mesh with our current beliefs.
Oh, and, if you checked out that website you might notice that Dr. Delightful's office is in Gahanna. That's near Columbus. 2 hours away from us. However, Dr. Delightful is perfectly okay with getting blood work done around here and then phone/Internet conferencing when the results are in. And that, my friends, is another reason why he earned the name Dr. Delightful!

2 comments:

renee

Oh he's DEFINITELY Dr. Delightful! He sounds great. It sounds like things are really looking up. I would be soooo happy if things were an easy fix for you guys. :D btw can't wait to see the new car (fit for baby, I assume).

Jess

Yes, I will post pics of it soon! I will probably devote a post to it and Betsy (my old car) :-D

Post a Comment