Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lightning, rain, and wind...Oh My!

Over the past several days we have had some wicked storms filled with lightning, rain, and wind. My friends, I am irrationally scared of storms that are filled with lightning, rain, and wind. Particularly the wind part. Why? Because I'm convinced that a tornado will beeline right towards me and blow my house to smithereens.
I'm convinced this fear manifested itself when my parents were in the process of building the house they currently live in. We had just cleared the land (which is in the middle of a woods) and left the area for the weekend. When we came back, we checked on the land and right where the house would be like five trees had fallen and/or been uprooted. They would have landed on the house! Scary!
So, I give you this background as a frame of reference for something that happened last night. As you may know, a line of super spooky storms made their way across the state late last night. In fact, we were under a tornado watch for about six hours. Quite frankly, I thought people were overreacting...I mean, a tornado watch for six hours? That's crazy! Anyway, K and I went to bed and everything was fine. Until 3:30 AM. I was awoken by a strong gust of wind and saw lots of lightning. Panic mode sets in!
I get up, close all the windows and turn off the power strip for the TV. (My family has had crazy bad luck with electronics and lightning...better to be safe than sorry!) And then I remember the tornado watch. At this point I'm convinced that K and I will have to go down to our creepy basement and bunker down. Unfortunately, K's in a dead sleep and is. not. budging.
I do the next best (rational) thing. LOL, I pack up my laptop in it's little bag and set it by the steps to the basement. Why? Because out of all my worldly possessions in the house this was the one thing I would be saddened beyond all doubt if it got blown away. And then? (Seriously, I DO realize how crazy this sounds) I rooted through my purse and got the other important stuff. You're probably thinking my driver's license...credit cards, stuff like that, right? Yeah, no. I got my broadband card and my USB memory drives. And then? I took them to the bedroom, crawled into bed...and fell asleep clutching them in my hands. Hey, it was 3:30 AM!

P.S. On another (clearly lucid) occasion when we first bought the house I was home alone and we had a tornado warning. I was (again) convinced that I would blow away atop this windy hill and that we would have to prove to the insurance company that we really owned what we owned. So I took digital pictures of everything (mind you, this was in the middle of a storm) so we would have proof. These pics were the ones on the USB memory stick that I fell asleep clutching last night. And yes, I'm aware that I'm slightly crazy (if not a bit paranoid).

1 comments:

renee

i love that i am not the only one with the irrational fears and behaviors lol. we're soooo meant to be friends :D

Post a Comment