Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Look at this thing!

Do you see this large machine? It's crazy big, right? Imagine my horror when I realized I would have to operate it. Yes my friends you read that right. K expected me to operate this heavy duty, construction site worthy piece of equipment.
Here's the back story. Our barn? Yeah, it looked like it was falling apart due to the lack of paint. So, K decided this was the year we would side the barn. But, that didn't happen because low and behold his dad knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy (you get the point, right??) who was in the painting business and died. Well, you can imagine that being in the painting business would leave your relatives beaucoup de painting supplies upon your demise. So, this lovely painter man's widow sold some barn paint to us at cost. Yippie (No, really, I was happy because painting is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than siding this monstrosity we like to call our barn).
So, anyway....yesterday K calls me and says that he is able to borrow a lift from somebody. He asks if I mind and casually mentions that he might need my help to raise and lower him as he paints. Mind you, this lift? Yes, totally not what I pictured when he mentioned that he would need my help! I'm thinking something that is smaller and requires one to push a button. Not something that has monster-truck wheels, a cab and a warning that declares you must be able to handle heavy machinery in order to operate it. I mean look! The thing leaves ruts in the ground! Me? I'm a teacher. I read books. I work in the garden. I shop for crying out loud! I don't operate heavy machinery!
However....I was committed to getting this barn painting. And we only have the lift until tomorrow. So...........I drove it! Almost had a conniption while doing it, but by golly I was able to get that husband of mine up in the air so that he could blast our dilapidated barn with a nice fresh coat of bright white paint.
Next post I will enthrall you with before and after pics of the barn (well, I'll try but I'm not able to get the hang of the photo placement yet)

1 comments:

renee

you are one heck of a woman, jessi! I'd be scared to operate that thing too!

Post a Comment