Thursday, January 20, 2011

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful

It's winter time my friends, and that means that cruddy weather is here. We've been getting our fair share this week with ice, snow, and the featured attraction tonight: wind. It's fun. No, really I do like winter weather because a.) it's pretty and b.) there's always the hope for a school delay or cancellation.

The unfortunate problem is that my school hardly ever closes. Yesterday? I drove to school on a sheet of ice. Totally awesome, let me tell you. And then? When I get to school? As if it wasn't bad enough to skate my way down the road in my car, I get salt rubbed into the wound of actually being out in that weather when I heard every single school in the area close. Except us. But that's okay.

However, the hope of a delay and cancellation always has me on pins and needles. Like right now I'm studying the delays and cancellations as they cross the t.v. screen. I realize how stupid this is because a.) if we were closed I would get a call from the director, b.) I would get a call from One Call Now, and c.) since I'm online anyway I could just check the computer for who is closed. But I'm still drawn to that stupid t.v. like a bug to a light.

So, in addition to reading the t.v for delays and cancellations, I'm also seeing all the advisories and warnings for the area. And there are a lot. So many that to save time I think there should just be a blanket advisory such as this: "The weather is crap. Stay home and curl up in a blanket." See how much faster that is to read than patiently waiting to see if your county is under a winter storm warning, winter storm advisory, and/or wind chill warning?

0 comments:

Post a Comment